Ms. Leom's Classroom Community Statement:

Ms. Leom's Classroom Community Motto:
YOU Belong.

Monday, March 5, 2018

Snow Day

So when the message arrives ... two texts, three phone calls on the house phone, two calls on the cell phone, and several emails, then the texts from family and friends who heard it from media and their other connections ... I guess it is official. We have a snow day.



So what is there for a teacher to do on a Snow Day ... there are the bathrooms and floors that could benefit from my extra time ... but after four hours of fourth grade school work on Sunday, I wasn't able to finish. The first order of business is to finish reading the latest Constructed Written Response papers for 44 students. Then I need to update student grades. Followed by making my list of what I need to do this week. Then I should conquer an item or two on my list.


When I "finish" (the work of a classroom teacher never ends), I have masters homework. Everything I have been reading, discussing, and working on in my classes is immediately applicable in the classroom. My current class is "Essentials in Litearcy and Learning". I am learning about reading, writing, and learning communities. This is my 21rst year in the classroom, and I already have a masters degree in curriculum and design, with weeks of other professional development in my mental resources tool box, and yet, it is amazing all I have yet to learn. What is best practice for student learninig?

A Snow Day is just another term from working at home, in my comfie clothes, on and under quilts made by my mom, with my dog content to have his family home.

I hope all of our families and friends are able to be safe on this day, especially the people who we depend on the work they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment