Ms. Leom's Classroom Community Statement:

Ms. Leom's Classroom Community Motto:
YOU Belong.

Friday, January 22, 2016

Best Laid Plans

I had the best lesson plans!! Students in both classes are working on Southeast state projects on the iPads. We are researching and using Keynote. Students are working with partners, based on the states they picked. We should be wrapping up next week ... 

As it happens with all good plans and true intentions, outside events add to the learning journey. Our iPads are overdue for an update. Mr. Greninger's iPads were sent in on Thursday. Ms. Leom's iPads are scheduled for next Monday. In my mind, I wasn't worried. Mr. Greninger's class would just use Ms. Leom's iPads, and the learning would continue ... Until I realized that the work was stored on THE iPad students were using. New plan necessary and five minutes to make it happen smoothly. 

This is why I like to be prepared!! Our next region of study will be the Midwedt. The copies arrived. I didn't want to start the learning, because some fourth graders are working on their organization and keeping track of their materials. I like when my students are best prepared for success! 

So Mr. Greninger's homeroom and I introduced the Midwest states and capitals. It was fun to see how prepared several students were. No grades or documentation were collected. Our first lesson is to give students the opportunity to see what they know and need to know with a pretest. After going through the answers and sharing some memory conversations ("Why does Kansas have Topeka for a capital when it is one of the latest states and a "PEAK", now pronounced TO-PEAK-a, indicates a high area?)

Then we pulled out puzzles. (I love Target's dollar section!! I also love how Mr. Leom is an educator too, and we rarely question our personal investments in our students' learning and classrooms!!) what better way to learn that physically hold up the shape of each state and place it with purpose?! 









Next week, when Ms. Leom's class will have their iPads in for the update, they will also have an opportunity to learn using the puzzles. That is the new plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment