Ms. Leom's Classroom Community Statement:

Ms. Leom's Classroom Community Motto:
YOU Belong.

Saturday, December 5, 2015

Potential

Everyday, my students walk into class and I SEE their many talents and gifts. I see their potential. It isn't on a test score. It is not found on-line on a grade. Those numbers communicate specific skills on a certain day. The numbers and grades have value and allow us to communicate details about student's learning progress ... and they are small fractions of a whole child. Sometimes parents, teachers, and the community think teachers forget about the whole child, those talents and character traits that make them gifted humans and talented in ways that matter. I only have to spend time and talk with my students every day, all day, to see the magic of their being.

Then, I get the added bonus to watch these same children grow up and fly ...

They are high school helpers, volunteering in the classroom (and in awe of how far they have traveled as students) ... they are on the swim team, just wrapping up their season ... they are on the basketball team ... they are in the band playing at sporting events and their own performances ... they are directing the junior high play with their best friend ... in the the high school announcements for honor society ... or sitting across from me in a staff meeting, a teaching peer. 
high school helper extraordinaire
Which one was a student and is now a teaching peer?
swimmers and divers at their swim banquet
ninth grade basketball
band at the junior varsity and varsity girls basketball games
junior high one act play directors

  


junior high one act play
Each of my students are amazing, incredible, and special. I don't need a test score, grade, or list to tell me. I am working to help develop the skills and prepare them for where their individual magic inspires them to define their world. These were just moments from one week of my life. So thankful and proud to be part of the Milaca Schools and the Milaca Community. We are part of magic, one individual at a time.

I took in at least five Milaca School activities this week. You might note that this week was a stronger girl-centered events or that at least two of the events feature one of my children ... that was this week. After nineteen years of being in the Milaca Schools, my children have attended more school board meetings, youth football games, baseball games, cross country meets, dance recitals, concerts ... so many options, too many to attend everything, and just enough to see the magic continue. 

I have the best job ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment