Ms. Leom's Classroom Community Statement:

Ms. Leom's Classroom Community Motto:
YOU Belong.

Thursday, May 23, 2019

Book Breakfast

23 years ago, I moved to Milaca and started teaching third grade. At the end of the year, I asked my first class, what can I do different to be better. Their response? They loved making books in first and second grade, and they wanted to do it again. But how does one "add a level"? In first and second grade, the school purchased blank books, and after going through the writing process, the students carefully copied their stories into their books. They had an "author's tea" and shared their books. I decided the next step would be to sew bindings and craft hard cover books from card board. Over the years, I perfected the project. I didn't want to take away from what they were doing in first and second grade, so we have a "book breakfast" to share our publishing skills. For the first few years, I published books on my own, being the only classroom to participate. For the past eighteen years, I have shared book publishing in fourth grade. It has grown to be a fourth grade tradition where all fourth graders participate. Next year, I will be transitioning to teach third grade, and I will leave behind this great project and fun for third grade traditions and learning. As I prepare for the move and adventure back to my third grade roots, people ask me what I will miss most. I think book publishing and the Book Breakfast with all the fabulous families who support our learning with their time and encouragement, will be at the top of the list.




























With the rain, we packed the elementary cafeteria. Fills my heart!



So proud of all these inspiring writers!

No comments:

Post a Comment