Ms. Leom's Classroom Community Statement:

Ms. Leom's Classroom Community Motto:
YOU Belong.

Saturday, September 21, 2013

School-View

School-View is the on-line "everything" communication tool.  Here is an image of what you can access using School-View.

In addition, families can track students meal accounts. As a parent, I love how I can check in on my time. It gives me an opportunity to ask specific questions to my children about the details.

To get hooked up, first contact Mrs. Roehl in the Elementary Office at 982-7301. She makes sure the adults requesting access are connected to the right student.
Mrs. Roehl
Next, visit the Milaca Public Schools website. There is a "Parents" option on the top of the school page. Select "School-View" and sign in.
 

School-View is an amazing communication tool between school and families, because it allows parents to track their students' learning. As soon as I submit the grading information ...

my grading options
... families can access the information!

In this system, parents will recognize trends and concerns more quickly than the teacher. Mr. Greninger and I share 50 students. I enter grades in fourteen areas. Yesterday alone, I entered eleven new assignments (x 25 students) and another 20-30 scores of missing work from absences, reworked lessons ... about 300 scores.

When I am entering scores, my brain is having conversations like, "... Student XYZ scored lower than I thought ... mmm what can I do to reteach this skill ... Oh! Look, Student LMN! Wow! I was really impressed by how they worded their thinking, I wonder, how can I extend and enrich his/her learning ... Oh, Student PQR really struggled too ... maybe I should put him/her with Student XYZ and reteach ... when would be a good time to ... Oh! Student HIJ looked like his/her cold was bothersome today ..."

My brain focuses on the skills and larger lesson planning. The details about lower grades, excessive missing assignments, late work trends, or even "no name paper" trends are not available to me. I rarely see the grades listed for one individual student. The grades are listed by assignment strands for me. I try to make regular comments, so those details are recorded. Regularly, I set up my access to record the missing homework. My daily hours are limited to 24 hours, and I am not able to peek at the 50 individual students and their specific trends on a regular basis. I am also using testing data to determine student progress.

This is where teaming with parents becomes valuable. If you see a trend that concerns you, or a dip in a subject level that is a concern, you can start with your fourth grader. You can ask questions, share your values and goals. You can contact Mr. Greninger for Math, Science, and Health grades if the answers from your fourth grader need more details. You can contact me for Grammar, Reading, Spelling, Vocabulary, and Writing concerns. You no longer have to wait for the schedule report cards available four times a year that communicate your child's learning. It is available to you on your time.

Communication with families is important to me. I use the daily planners, both classroom blogs (this one and one that copies the daily planner), weekly newsletters, School-View, e-mail, and the phone. Parents are also welcome to stop into school. I actively look for ways to welcome parents to various events during the year. I want my students to be successful. Parents and families provide another valuable tool to accomplish this goal.

Please consider accessing School-View!

No comments:

Post a Comment