Ms. Leom's Classroom Community Statement:

Ms. Leom's Classroom Community Motto:
YOU Belong.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

New Seats

One "trick of the trade" when working with students is "changing seats" can help with learning and focus. If you change seats too often in elementary, it can be stressful to personalities that need routine, so we try to switch about once a month.

This month, it was long past due. In March, my subconscious was working overtime, and I had several "de'ja vu moments" where I am pretty sure I placed more than one student in a seat they had seen before. My Leom students were MORE than comfortable with each other. It is the time of the year where we are more like "family". Students say and do things that annoy each other.

So today, I "stole" a page from Ms. Prose. There is research about people being more successful when they have "choices" in decision making. I sat students on the carpet and explained they would be picking their seats. We talked about needing a responsible, respectful place to learn. I emptied my seating chart on the board, used my can of sticks, and randomly chose students one at a time to select their new seat.

(Then I took pictures and posted to the blog so parents can peek before students come home).

This is my group to the right of my desk, near the library.



 As I stand in front of the white board and look back at my class ... this is my view ...



There were students who took this opportunity seriously and made choices that will benefit their learning. There are students who ... time will tell their story.

A school is a place of learning. Sometimes, the students teach the best lessons! We'll see if the seats in Ms. Leom's room remain or we need "new seats" before May!

No comments:

Post a Comment