Ms. Leom's Classroom Community Statement:

Ms. Leom's Classroom Community Motto:
YOU Belong.

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

DP

Ms. Leom went to Deep Portage (DP).
the sixth graders give a shout-out to Milaca Elementary

Ms. Leom dresses for the weather
 There are many activities for students at Deep Portage. One activity is Survival. Students have a short classroom experience where they learn about the important information they need to survive.

 Students build shelters and learn how to make fires.


 Another class is Landform 3. Students learn how to use a compass, read a map, then we  practice.


This is a picture of the backside of the Deep Portage main building. This has the lunch room, classrooms, theater, climbing wall, great room, and all the sleep areas for students.

Another class we participated in was Astronomy. All of our instructors are very thorough and KNOW their subjects. They engaged "best teaching practices" (a real thing) and interact well with students.


Astronomy included an opportunity to go outside and look through a telescope. As our group finished their telescope experience, they lined up at the windows to see what activities their peers were doing.

There are six runs on the climbing wall. The instructors and equipment are focused on safety. Everyone encourages and supports each other. It is so much fun to watch!

Students had two different classes on team building. They participated in different activities and dialogued about their experiences.

A second team building activity included getting everyone through the spiderweb without touching the sides or using the same shape twice.

Here our group is discussing the activity, what went well, what we might do differently, and more information to be successful in the future.

There was a class about wind. Students learned about how you can learn from making mistakes. They created "fan blades" (my term), and they tested their blades to see how much electricity they generated. They recorded their findings on the board (behind the students) and had the opportunity to learn from the groups' work.

There were many hikes through the woods. Here the group took time to admire the trees.

My most intense fear, heights. Seriously, I wake up, with nightmares of falling. I managed my fear (calm breathing), and climbed the Deep Portage tower. I crawled to the center (literally). Called my two sixth graders to me, had someone snap a picture, then I crawled back down the tower.

Thankful to be alive and appreciating the best view (from the ground).

We learned about how Deep Portage heats their facility.

We visited their museum.

We had a campfire with skits, songs, and fun.

Waiting for a meal at Deep Portage. The food is amazing!!

A typical room.

The Great Hall, as students learn how to play the last activity.

I was a "bob cat", and we had to hide on the ground to "hunt" - especially me in my purple coat ...

My view from the ground.

A picture of the bobcats hunting mice.

Staff members stay at Deep Portage for no more than three years. During their time at DP, they are asked to do a project to make Deep Portage better. One person created a pizza oven that bakes a pizza in less than a minute. Another made these double doors from tree cookies.

I had my own Sixth Grade class trip "a year or two ago". We went to ESL near Ely, Minnesota. It was the first time I was a way from home. I was sick about being away from my family for weeks before I left. It was so far from home. Yet, it was such an amazing trip, and I am so glad I went. This was my second trip to Deep Portage near Hackensack, Minnesota. Each time I go, I am so impressed with the quality staff and the live-long learning opportunities that are available. The idea that the Heggies Pizza Fundraisers since Kindergarten paid for all but $20 per student is mind-blowing. People pay hundreds of dollars for these opportunities. Companies pay for their employees to have these opportunities. I stand in awe of this facility and the magic they work every day. This is a quality experience, and I am so PROUD to be a part of the Milaca Schools and community that supports such an incredible experience for our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment