Ms. Leom's Classroom Community Statement:

Ms. Leom's Classroom Community Motto:
YOU Belong.

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Think Aloud

One research strategy we use in class to teach and learn is the think aloud (think we have talked about it before).

Today I pulled a June B. Jones page (from Amazon's "peek" feature) to model reading a page with students.


Our lesson was to notice that each time a new speaker talks in a dialogue, the speaker starts on a new line and indents. We will be looking for this as we read our historical fiction books and USE IT when we are editing our personal narratives we wrote.

The lesson allowed us to review our skills of "finding evidence" in our text and using it to find the point of view of the story and to make some inferences.

This story is told in the first person point of view. The person telling the story is IN the story. "she showe me", "we", "where we sit", "I told her", "I said" are all evidence that the story is being told in the first person point of view.

I could make an inference that the mom feels annoyed and embarrassed, because the book says, "Mother rolled her eyes and looked up at the ceiling". The author didn't tell me what the mother was feeling, but I can make an inference by reading about her actions and what I know when people in my life use these same actions.

Or when Junie B. says, "I looked up there too. But I didn't see anything." tells me that Junie B. does not catch her mother's cue or know what her mother is feeling, because she thinks her mother would only look up at the ceiling if there was something to see there. It could tell me that Junie B. is young, because young kids do not always understand the cues and feelings of adults.

Often, students help us develop these ideas, and student input creates the inference. With another class, different students may have another connection and we could make an inference, but have a different result.

What to know, lessons are not taught one day, or one week, then forgotten. We continue to build and add, and review in every daily opportunity that we can build connections and knowledge. Being in class is important to be a part of all of these opportunities!

No comments:

Post a Comment