Ms. Leom's Classroom Community Statement:

Ms. Leom's Classroom Community Motto:
YOU Belong.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Veteran's Day

Today is Veteran's Day. In the High School, they have a school assembly, with a guest speaker, and local veteran's invited to recognize this national holiday. In the Elementary School, we are developing our background knowledge.

Our learning goals today were:  I can ...
* read and learn about Veteran's Day
* make inferences to answer questions
* use nonfiction context clues; such as, heading, pictures, captions, and more to find information.

Students had questions:
 and worked with a partner to use the information packet to locate the information.
Cover of the Information Packet
first page in the packet

Ms. Leom was available to help students with any questions.


What our students learned:
* "I Pledge Alligiance" means "I promise to be true."
* The government bought college and their homes
* Veterans Day was called Armstice Day
* I did not know that the red (on the American Flag) stands for valor and zeal
* Veteran's Day is important
* The flag's color blue stands for heaven, loyalty, justice, and truth
* Flag folds into a triangle
* People were hurt and killed in World War II
* There was a different name for Veteran's Day
* The flag has 50 stars that mean the 50 states
* Display of the American flag is usually from sunrise to sunset
* I learned about the history of Veteran's Day, and the difference between Veteran's Day and Memorial Day
* I learned a song (we heard "Taps" and "The Star Spangled Banner" in class)
* I learned how important Veteran's are
* We got to learn about the bald eagle
* I learned what the colors of the flag mean
* I learned that veterans fight

No comments:

Post a Comment