Ms. Leom's Classroom Community Statement:

Ms. Leom's Classroom Community Motto:
YOU Belong.

Monday, May 16, 2016

Time Capsule 2008

Eight years ago, my ninth class of students and I were wrapping up our school year together. We had an amazing year. That year, when I attended the MEA Convention in October, I won a classroom set of free admission tickets to Valley Fair!! There were other fun adventures we shared that year, and I was excited to welcome this group of students back to fourth grade to open their time capsule of memories.









Then, I had BOTH my classes (Mr. Greninger's homeroom and my own) fill out time capsules for their senior return.

Please note, this is one assignment that I don't chase students down to finish. If they turn it in incomplete or forget to turn it in altogether, there is its own consequence. It is sad when students return in eight years, and hear about all the goals their peers had to accomplish by eighteen (buy a boat, have a boyfriend/girlfriend, learn to drive ...) and they left parts of their time capsules blank. There was also a senior parent who made contact wanting her child's time capsule for the graduation party, and eight years ago, that student didn't complete and turn it in (after MANY reminders and extra copies).

When I make copies of student pictures; for example, at Open House or Student of the Week, the families receive one copy, and the second printed copy goes into our Time Capsule. I've been doing this project since my first school year as a teacher in 1996-1997. Unfortunately for my first group of seniors, I was at home on bedrest with twins, and couldn't invite them back, having to send them letters with their Time Capsules ... you do the best you can with what you have.






Some students weren't able to visit in the morning. So I had visitors throughout the school day over several days.






What is great, is both classes I taught that year made it back in combining groups. My students are dreaming BIG, and I enjoy hearing about their plans for the summer and their plans to prepare for their future careers.

For now, I will enjoy the remaining days of this group of fourth graders, knowing that I will offer the opportunity for them to return and update me on their new adventures and dreams.

Congratulations Class of 2016! I am SO VERY PROUD of you and all you have accomplished!! I can't wait to see what you do next!!

No comments:

Post a Comment