Ms. Leom's Classroom Community Statement:

Ms. Leom's Classroom Community Motto:
YOU Belong.

Friday, September 11, 2015

Pretend You Know

In addition to turning off the negative voice, the other life lesson we work on in fourth grade is what do you do when you are overwhelmed and don't know how to start something. This might happen when you have an assignment or you find yourself in a new place for the first time. Our strategy, "Pretend you know what to do."

The situation may start something like this ... "Wow. This assignment looks complicated, and I feel overwhelmed. I want to quit. I really want to play, and I have to do this. I don't get it. I don't want to do it. ... (and it escalates from here).

The "Pretend you know what to do" strategy works like this ... "If I didn't know what to do ... I could think of a student in my class who always seems to know. What would s/he do ... First s/he would write her/his name on the paper ... I can do that ... Then s/he would probably read the directions ... a student who knew what to do might just start, try something. Write something down. Just break it down into a step. Only look at one problem, one section, one part. The worst thing that happens, is I start, make a mistake, have to erase, then try again. I will still know more from starting ... Next, a student who doesn't know might ask a clarifying question ... "

We are still developing this idea and building on strategies. Our first steps:
1.) Write your name on your paper
2.) Read the directions
3.) Think of someone you know who usually knows what to do, what would it look like to start?
OR, scan the room, what are the responsible students appearing to do? (This is not copying answers, but where on the paper are they working, what steps are they doing? Are they using any tools, like a planner page, a calculator or dictionary?
4.) Start. Try. "No one is perfect, that is why pencils have erasers."
5.) Ask a clarifying question.

This is from earlier today. Here are two Milaca students who are successfully working on their learning.

One aspect I love about teaching, every student is different, so often I pretend I know what a lesson will look like, and I am open and flexible for changes that matter to individual students.

A student asked me at the end of this lesson today, "Do YOU use this strategy as a teacher?" I could answer honestly, "Yes. All of the time." Mr. Patnode, our high school principal wrote an article for the Mille Lacs County Times this week. He says something about, today's teachers are preparing students for jobs that don't even exist yet. That sounds so exciting and daunting at the same time! I am not sure what learning with iPads will look like when we start next month. I have a lot to learn. I will do everything I can to prepare. I've had the iPad cart in my room since it arrived a couple of years ago and done a variety of learning activities using iPads, but using them all day long ... I am going to make mistakes. There will be many opportunities to learn from students. There will be moments where one iPad doesn't have the app update that the class has, or one iPad didn't charge, or ... the complications have the potential to be overwhelming ... the possibilities are amazing, and for now, I will need to pretend I know. I have student, their families, and our community counting on me to help student learn and grow, and giving up and being overwhelmed isn't an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment