Ms. Leom's Classroom Community Statement:

Ms. Leom's Classroom Community Motto:
YOU Belong.

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Duct Tape

Today, we pulled out the much anticipated duct tape. As a parent myself, when I see a supply like duct tape on the supply list, I think to myself about the family budget and how this fits into the classroom. I am counting all of my pennies, and duct tape?!

Today we made our journals for Flex Reading. Students used duct tape to decorate the covers. Every year, I question the decision to spend class time to apply colorful tape to the outside of the notebook. Before duct tape, we applied masking tape and used brown shoe polish to give the journal a weathered look. Every year I question our plan until we actually do the activity in class. Then I listen to the students, and I know that duct tape is an important supply. It is a "project" that fourth graders can successfully complete. They feel industrious, creative, and accomplished. It takes any "old" composition notebook and makes it special, personal, and a reflection of each student. Duct tape makes their journal stand out in their desks or cubbies. I'm always fascinated by how you give the same directions to 57 students, and the results are 57 unique covers. Some students make use of the wrinkles and bubbles, some share and combine styles, some layer the tape in different configurations. So many ingenious learners! Duct taping our composition notebooks also opens the opportunity for students to talk and share, to form connections with their new peers and learn from each other. It connects reading and how we use the journal more valued. Duct tape matters. Just take a look at the faces of students from both classes conquering duct tape.














 Duct tape is not the end of the journals. Then we need to set up the inside of the journals. There are three specific sections inside the journals: "What I am Learning" (our flex notes), "Books I Read" (book list of what we are reading in flex), and "Independent Reading Work" (when students predict, question, infer, and more before, during, and after they read). We aren't sure exactly HOW we will use each section, but we are closer to being ready!!

No comments:

Post a Comment