Ms. Leom's Classroom Community Statement:

Ms. Leom's Classroom Community Motto:
YOU Belong.

Sunday, October 9, 2016

Uncle Rick

I love the part of my career where my personal life and professional life overlap. Saturday October 8th was one of those nights.

I took my daughters to O'Shaughnessy Theater at the College of St. Catherine's in St. Paul to hear author Rick Riordan speak. "Uncle Rick", who I learned, he is called by his "fandom" (another new term) is best known for his Percy Jackson series. He has been on the best sellers' list for 407 weeks! He has over 55 million books in print in the United States alone.




He is on a nine day, nine stop tour to promote his new book, The Hammer of Thor in his newer Magnus Chase series of books. We was so personable, funny, and engaging, I couldn't help but enjoy the guy! He spoke about being a reluctant reader until eighth grade, about how many stories he has started and never finished, about how his first draft always needs revision, and then, he answered questions from his fans. It was a magical night, both for my girls, watching them soak up the experience, and the teacher in me, who took avid notes to bring back and include in writing workshops and connecting readers with books.

I am so thankful to work at Milaca Elementary, where our staff go out of their way to bring authors INTO our school and community and share their magic with our students! Not everyone has the ability or interest to hear a "real author" speak ... It was an inspiring night, and I look forward to sharing his magic ... along with my autographed copy of his new book and my new tshirt.


No comments:

Post a Comment